7 irresistible (and easy) sandwich ideas for a tasty lunch
Are you always on the look-out for lunchtime sandwich ideas? The humble sandwich is often dismissed as boring, but that doesn’t need to be the case. Creative and healthy sandwich ideas – those that fit in well with a balanced diet – can transform meals into a bonanza of flavours, making you feel satisfied and content for the rest of the day. To help you get started, here are some easy sandwich ideas for lunch that are both wholesome and delicious:
- Salmon and rocket with a lemon and balsamic dressing: Less saturated fat than the standard smoked salmon and cream cheese, but plenty of flavour. Layer up the bread with two teaspoons of ProActiv spread, smoked salmon and rocket, and then drizzle over a mix of lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil. Finish with a liberal dose of black pepper.
- Grilled vegetables with homemade pesto. There’s something addictive about a good basil pesto, and you can also easily make your own at home. Just blend ProActiv spread with basil, parmesan, garlic and toasted pine nuts. Get experimental and swap basil for parsley and pine nuts for walnuts. Check out this recipe from the ProActiv site for inspiration. All our recipes contain one serving of Flora ProActiv, which is two teaspoons – that’s half of the required amount per day to effectively lower cholesterol*!
- Hummus and rainbow ‘slaw: Nothing says “hello, lunch” like tasty hummus. Our favourite chickpea dip goes perfectly on top of wholegrain bread spread with one serving of Flora ProActiv Buttery (that’s two teaspoons). Layer a colourful ‘slaw on top – combine finely chopped red cabbage, spring onions, and carrot with a dressing of mustard, olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, and a small pinch of salt.
- Falafel sandwich: This Middle Eastern classic is quickly becoming a favourite. Falafels are made from chickpea flour and spices. They are usually fried, but can be baked. Coat your pan or baking tray with a small teaspoon of vegetable oil. You can also serve these in pitas – as we do in this recipe – or try in a wrap with some low-fat yogurt and cucumber. Serve with a hearty side salad (lemony dressing compliments falafel well) to get one of your five a day.
- Nut-butter on rye: Nut butters are a great sandwich option, and go well on dark rye. People often think of peanut butter as the kind of all nut butters (and it’s true, it’s delicious), but why not get creative? Toast almonds or walnuts in a dry pan, blend with two teaspoons of ProActiv spread, and add a pinch of salt. This sandwich goes well with a side salad of peas, coriander and capers.
- Avocado toast and chilli salt: A bit of avocado on wholegrain toast is one of those quick and easy sandwich ideas that you can whip up in an instant. To make it extra special, grill the bread until golden before spreading with two teaspoons of Flora ProActiv spread and loading up with avocado. Sprinkle with a little chilli salt, and add a few anchovies if you’re a fan. It also makes a great open sandwich or bruschetta (like so) if you’d like a less substantial snack.
- Tuna with roasted seeds and crunchy kale: This is one of our favourite easy, healthy sandwich ideas as tuna is a source of protein, while the seeds are a tasty extra. Roast them alongside the kale in your oven using a bit of Flora spray, then layer up with the tuna and enjoy.
Those are just a few easy sandwich ideas to get you started. For more inspiration, have a look at our recipes online. There’s always something tasty to try, so enjoy!
*Flora ProActiv contains plant sterols. A daily intake of 1.5-2.4g plant sterols can lower cholesterol by 7-10% in 2-3 weeks, as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle including plenty of fruit and vegetables. High cholesterol is a risk factor in the development of coronary heart disease. As coronary heart disease has multiple risk factors, more than one may need to be improved to reduce the overall risk.